I guess I should lecture you a little more.

Always nice to attend leatures when there is something to learn.

First off, the bokeh on the
24mm is probably of little consequence since wide angle lenses are rarely
used in situations where superb bokeh is a necessity.

Completely disagree. There are time I like to shoot very chose to the subject for some interesting effect. The background will appear very out-of-focus. In situation like this, the bokeh shows, and ugly with the FA*24/2. I have seen many wide angle shots with similar style in Japanese magazines too so don't tell me it is a non-issue.

Second, the 3 limited
lenses are known for having relatively harsh bokeh even by Pentax standards
due to the other areas they excel in, such as 3 dimensionality.

It is unknown to me. FA31 & FA77 have good bokeh though still have very slight bright-ring effect.

Third, 3 of those lenses are telephotos, with the 100 being a Macro lens. Presumably it
has at least decent bokeh. The only lens there that I would expect to have
superb bokeh is the FA* 85 1.4. So you tell me, does it suck in this
regard, or is it excellent???

To surprise you, I feel the FA*85/1.4 has the worst bokeh in this bunch. It excels on certain portrait, but I like the bokeh of FA77 better. From what I can see, the FA*85 has slightly stronger bright-ring bokeh than the FA77. Sometimes the backgrounds just appeared a little odd with the FA*85, but not with the FA77. But you are correct that the FA100/2.8 macro does have very nice bokeh. It is a nice lens for both macro & portrait imho.

Thanks for the extra lecture. It teaches me that you have never used most of these low quality Pentax lenses.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

MSN Premium: Up to 11 personalized e-mail addresses and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines