John Francis wrote:

> I've yet to see a transparency adapter on a flatbed that can
> come close to the performance of a purpose-built film scanner
> for scanning 35mm.

Agreed, they don't seem to be able to nail the focus. But some high-end
dual-purpose scanners do a good job on both flat art and film. I use an
Agfa Duoscan 2500T that we have at work for most of my film scanning,
and it yields extremely sharp results. However it's quite pricey, more
than $3000 I believe.
Paul