>> Earlier in this thread, I mentioned the Vivitar 19mm f/3.8
>> I bought this lens brand new from B&H a few years ago. It's still
>>listed on
>> their website. They're asking a little over $100 for it.

>Unfortunately I don't think DJE would be too impressed with the optical
>performance of this lens.

>Rob Studdert

Considering that Nikon, Pentax, and Canon all want most of $500 for their
20/2.8s, I WOULD be leery of any $100 20mm lens.  Given the faults in the
older 20s from major manufacturers that I've experienced 20s seem to be
hard to do well.  Photographyreview.com's collection of reviews suggests
that it is actually pretty good and well worth $100, but weaker in the
corners than would be nice (big surprise...)
None of the big names seem to make a 20/4.0 any more, probably because
20mm is basically a pro or advanced amateur focal length and those guys
want and will pay for an f/2.8 lens.  Presumably the landscape and hiking
photographers are using older gear (the AIS Nikkor 20/4 is very popular
for this as I understand it) or are using something else entirely.

B&H is in fact listing the vivitar lens, at $105, in PK mount.  It's out
of stock, and Vivitar's own website does not list the lens.  Focus camera
claims that it is no longer availible in PK mount.

What I'm really looking for may be two different, and possibly
unachieveable lenses.  I want a small 20 to mount on my KX and take on
vacation, and I want a better, brighter 20 to replace the SMC-T 20/4.5
on my spotmatics.  The answer to the first problem would appear to be
the M20/4.  The answer to the second problem, if there is one, might
be a Fujinon, a Flektogon, a Mamiya, something Russian, or possibly even
one of those samyang/vivitar 19/3.8 kinda things in M42 mount.  Given a
good enough M42 lens, it could also serve my K-mount needs.

I'm not seeing many of any of these items in the places I look for used
equipment.  I may have to admit that back in the day of M42, nobody made
a good 20mm lens and the SMC-T is as good as I'm going to get.  I may
have to eventually break down and buy the FA 20/2.8 which is more than
I'd like to spend.

DJE