> From the replies I've seen, there is no reasonable price for this
> lens - it sells for unreasonable prices.

John is correct.  The price of the lens is driven by scarcity, which
affects both collectors (who want 'em for and/or despite of their
scarcity) and users (who want 'em because they're darn fine macro
lenses).

> If one really wants a lens to use and not to fondle or make the
> heart burst with pride at one's excellent taste in lenses, then
> any of the 90-105mm f2.8 MF or AF lenses should be a good choice.
> I've not heard any bad about any of them.

I have to agree with John here also.  I've tried quite a few of the
Pentax and 3rd-party 90mm, 100mm, and 105mm macros lenses with f/2.5
and f/2.8 apertures (and f/4, too), and I've never seen one that
wasn't at least very good.

Still, the A 100/2.8 Macro is my favorite...

Fred