> Gerrard was (I can't imagine they're still around) an
> English turntable company.  They were pretty big in
> the 50's and early 60's.  They basically made the best
> LP changer around  . . .

They also made the turntable equivalent of the K1000 -
the Garrard SP25.  Generations of college students grew
up with one of these (I owned the Mk II, IIRC).

It was cheap enough that students could afford it, but
it had all the features necessary to get good sound out
of a record without destroying it in the process, and
it was built to withstand reasonable amounts of abuse.
A Garrard SP25 (and, later, a Pioneer PL-12D) are the
main reason why I've got 30-year-old records that are
still playable.  In particular, when fitted with an SME
lightweight headshell and a Shure M75 cartridge the PL-12D
operated reliably at 0.75g tracking weight - significantly
better than most of the "groove grinders" out there.