Hi,

> BTW, who's Alex, and what are droogs?

"A Clockwork Orange".

I'm surprised you haven't read the book, Frank! It has a lot to say
about crime, punishment and justice.

Droogs are friends. Alex and his friends live in the future. Anthony
Burgess, the author, wrote the book in the early 1960s and extrapolated
a future from the youth cults of the time. It was groovy to mix in a
few Russian-ish words, such as 'beatnik', so Burgess has his characters
use almost a fully-developed dialect based on Russian.

Droog is Russian for friend. Other words he uses include moloko
(milk), krovy (blood, I think), yarblokos (testicles, from the word
for apple), ptitsas (girls, birds), and so on. There is a vocabulary
at the back of the book, but it's surprisingly easy to pick it up from
the context as you read along.

So, Frank.

What's it going to be then, eh?

Are you going to read the book?

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/chabrieres/texts/clockwork_orange.html

--
Cheers,
 Bob

"It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday, and I was in bed
with my catamite when Ali announced that the archibishop had come to
see me."

Anthony Burgess - opening sentence of "Earthly Powers"