Yes, the A/F/FA50/f1.4 and the FA85/f1.4 are a little bit soft at wide open. However, they are great for portraits especailly at wide open. At f1.4 the depth of field is so shallow that the "sharpness" of the lens can be seen at one spot (one distance), only, anyway. For example, I have some wonderful portraits that I shot with the FA85 at f1.4 and with the M85 at f2 that I have not been able to reproduce with lenses with "sharper" lenses like the A85 and K85.

Arnold

Alan Chan schrieb:

FA43 is not great at all wide open and is about the same as M50/1.4 at f2 (very slightly sharper and slightly worse bokeh (bright ring)). I have found A50/1.7 is obviously sharper than A50/1.4 at wide open, and that shows when manual focusing w/o split image (but maybe just low contrast high resolution, I don't know). The same is true when comparing FA77 against FA*85 (FA77 being sharper). For both A50/1.4 & FA*85, sharpness starts to improve dramatically at f4 or smaller. I certainly would not shot at f1.4 for these 2 lenses as I considered the results to soft even on small prints. Wish I can answer your question directly, but I am redundant to do so with my incomplete experience.

Alan Chan