On 25 Jul 2004 at 8:36, Arnold Stark wrote:

> BTW: To me, the resolution numbers that Yoshihiko Takinami found for
> some lenses (especially the FA77/f1.8 and the M85/f2) are not consistent
> with my own results which are much higher for these lenses. Now, which
> results are true? Well, I guess that it is easy to measure a resolution
> that is lower than provided by the lens, but it is near impossible to
> measure a resolution that is too high.

Your measurements and more importantly trends don't correlate at all well with
mine for the A*85/1.4 either. My 50mm tests in this same series to which I'm
referring do however align quite well with most other tests that I'm aware of.

Maybe your A*85/1.4 has an alignment problem? I have yet to do a technical
appraisal of the comparative performance of my A*85/1.4 and 77LTD however given
my experience with both lenses I don't expect to observe the differential that
you measured.

But back to the initial question the 77LTD can be used quite successfully wide
open. IMHO there is really nothing else that you can buy in PK mount that will
be as good in AF, so your choices are limited in any case.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998