The usual doom and gloom. If I had some archives that HAD to be readable. I would have the drive to read it. Simple as that.

I have a pile of 3.5inch disks, so I also have a 3.5inch drive in my computer. If I had a pile of 8inch floppies (there never was no 10inchers, which tells you most of what you need to know about the author), I would have an old 8 inch drive available even if I had to keep one in storage for the past 20 years.
Just as I would have a microfiche reader if I had a lot of data on microfiche.

The problem he talks about is stupidity, not obsolescence.

OTOH, when I needed old finacial records (from 2 years ago) I found that the direct copies on CD-R were not readable. Backups with an opsolete backup software on the same brand CD-R's burned on the same drive, were. If I did not have that old backup software on hand I would have been UTC.

--

David Miers wrote:

Yea, I know, this has been beat to death, but....

http://www.vividlight.com/articles/1513.htm

Warning...*istD owners shouldn't look...lol.

Dave

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com/graywolf.html