Chris Brogden wrote:

> Why is it that manufacturers justify
> the discontinuation of slower films
> because of the improvements of grain
> in their faster ones?

I don't think they justify discontinuing slower film for that
reason.  They justify it because it doesn't sell as well as faster
films, nor as well as it used to sell.

Since the advent of P&S cameras and the cheap, slow, variable
aperture zoom lenses, there is a greater need for faster films, and
they command the lion's share of the market.  And since the majority
of people taking pictures these days don't make prints larger than
whatever comes off the minilab machine at the neighborhood Walmart
or Costco, very few people really give a damn about fine grain, high
accutance, and the like.  And many of the more technically oriented
photographers use inkjet printers and Photoshop, and have lost sight
of what fine photographs can be, relying on the oft heard comment,
"I can fix it in Photoshop."  Feh!  A pox on all those houses.

> I mean, so what if their 100 now has the
> grain of their 25.  Doesn't that mean that
> they can apply this improvement to their 25
> and give it even finer grain, so that we
> can make bigger enlargements than ever before?

Sure, that would be wonderful, but for how many people?  And how
many rolls of film?  The world ain't what it used to be, Chris.
Mediocrity rules.

--
Sheldon Belinkoff
CREATURE'S COMFORT