I have great results with a Manfrotto joystick head (222) on my Manfrotto
compact monopod (479-4/LA24).  The joystick does not produce gentle & smooth
movement, but gives all of the motion required.  If you need long exposure
times, you can get better support by angling the monopod towards you - place
the foot of the monopod about 12" in front of your feet - the top of the pod
leans against your chest and the head itself gives the camera attitude you
want.  The joystick head also allows you to carry relatively big/heavy
lenses with ease.  The head will go to 90 deg from the monopod, and so the
lens becomes parallel with the monopod.  You use the joystick head as the
handle, and both the pod and lens hang straight down.

Jim
www.jcolwell.ca