>> Whilst on the subject of Manfrotto monopods, What heads are folks out there
>> using, and why that particular head?

I am using a normal medium ball head. But if you intend to use it for
superteles (like 2.8/300 and similar), I just screwed them directly onto the 'pod,
without any head, the few times I had access to such a lens. When I
was shooting with PJs from wealthier papers with such lenses in their
lenspool, they did the same (or the other way around, I did the same
as them <g>). It works nicely for such long lenses. For concerts,
where I used a 'pod with 80-200 zoom, I used the ballhead though.

Good light!
           fra