----- Original Message -----
From: "J. C. O'Connell"
Subject: RE: 50 or 100 mm

> FREE is psuedo-zoom. It is pretty obvious if the focal length
> varies and it does. Pentax has made both dedicated and pseudo-
> zoom macros. I believe the switch occurred when they went from
> F4 designs to F2.8 designs in the early 80's. Of course any lens
> that "does" Macro is a "real" Macro lens but when I was referring
to the
> "classic" macro lens designs I meant the fixed focal length designs
> optimized for a specific closeup magnification, similar to the
> designs of modern high end enlarging lenses.

Not withstanding, the macro lenses with the fixed rear element design
are incredibly good lenses.
I recall reading in the literature of the day when I bought the
A100mm f/2.8 macro that the design allowed for superior lens
performance throughout the focal range.
As the lens is excruciatingly sharp from 1:1 right through to
infinity (no small feat), there is absolutely nothing wrong with the
lens design.

William Robb