Frank,

After reading the first few lines of your post, I knew almost EXACTLY what the last line would be! :-)
The "almost" means I reckoned without Delgado.

John

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:51:03 -0400 (EDT), frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 23/8/04, Paul McEvoy, discombobulated, unleashed:

<snip>

>Is there a reason that I've read in any number of
places that in order to be
>a good photographer you need to learn how to
develop b+w film?
<snip>
 --- Cotty, in his inimitable style, answered:
<snip>
When I did shoot film, I would have a couple of
rolls of HP5 a week that
needed dipping in the soup, and did it myself. No
darkroom, just a
blacked out bathroom to load the tank, then
everything else is done in
normal light.

It's *very* easy to do and one of the most rewarding
experiences you will
ever have in photography.

The other most rewarding experience you will ever
have in photography is
watching a print develop in a dish under a safelight
after it has been
exposed under an enlarger.

Both not to be missed.

I sympathise with folk who lament the passing of
these activities as
digital tightens its grip.

No doubt both developing negs and printing them up are both rewarding.

However, the question was whether a good photographer
needs to learn how it's done.

I'm going to break with orthodoxy, and say "no, of
course not".

Photography is pointing a camera and pushing the
shutter release (or otherwise exposing the film).
Everything after that is processing.  The two need not
meet.

When I take a photograph, I more or less have an idea
of how the final print will look.  If I have a
developer that yields results that I'm satisfied with,
would it make me a better photographer if I did my own
lab work that was no better than equal to what I can
pay to have done?  If so, I'd like someone to explain
it to me.

Now, I'm not for a minute saying that ~for some~ it's
not an integral part of their creative process.  I
know that if one so chooses, a great deal of
manipulating and massaging can be done to change or
alter a print for the better.  I'm not saying for a
moment that it may be ~more rewarding~ to take the
process from loading the film in the camera all the
way to the final print.  But, finding satisfaction
isn't the same as making one better at the first part
of the process (ie:  exposing the film).

If you haven't guessed, I don't do my own developing.
Tried it many years ago a few times, and it just
didn't turn my crank.  I like to take pictures and
have someone else do the "dirty work".  Luckily, the
guy who does my processing and printing loves doing
darkroom work, so it's all good.  I guess that's why
he does it for a living.

As I was thinking of what I was going to put into this
post, I was reminded of Ansel Adam's (who was a
classicly trained pianist, IIRC) famous quote, "the
negative is the score, the print is the performance".
At first I thought, "now how am I going to refute that
one?"  Then I realized that the analogy is actually in
accord with my thought:

How often is the best known version of a musical piece
~not~ performed by its composer?  Composing a musical
piece is not at all the same as performing it.
Especially in the days before the singer/songwriter,
was Cole Porter, for instance, any less a songwriter
or composer because he didn't perform his own songs?
Or, are the players in a symphony orchestra any less
performers because they may know very little of the
theory of composing and can't compose themselves?

I know I've been long-winded here, but it's always
bothered me just a teeny bit that there's this
suggestion that darkroom skills are required to make a
"complete photographer".

Besides, HCB didn't develop his own.  Neither does
Selgado.

cheers,
frank

=====
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst"
********
"Of course it's all luck"
  --  Henri Cartier-Bresson

-- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/