On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, William Robb wrote:

There are a couple of extra steps in digital that you have left out:
Prior to your step one:
Go into menuland and set up the following:
1) resolution.
2) file compression
3) colour space.
4) saturation.
5) contrast
6) sharpness
7) sensitivity (not as necessary, as the default will work).

Doing this requires something that most consumers don't want to do,
which is reading the owners manual, and retaining the knowledge.

They don't *have* to do that...they can just use the default setting. Like someone with a new do-everything-but-mow-the-lawn film P&S they may have a quick read through the manual and see what fancy things the camera does, but they'll probably just leave it as the manufacturer gave it to them.

For the simple snapshotter, there isn't that much difference between the difficulty of using film and digital. I do not claim that digital is easier, but for the average user who doesn't want to faff with the options it is as easy as film.

billy

--
I haven't has so much fun since the pigs ate my little sister
 Billy Abbott                     billy at cowfish dot org dot uk