If you don't have Pentax lenses and you can afford the 10 megapixel Canon you're probably smart to go that way. But it would be foolish to invest that much in a 6 megapixel Canon if you had to spend more to replace your Pentax lenses with Canon lenses. I've thought about it myself. But I know I can't duplicate my kit in Canon. On the other hand, I will soon have two 6 megapixel Pentax bodies and 13 lenses that will meet all of my needs for stock, advertising, and magazine photography. And of course I'll have a lot of fun just shooting things that i want to shoot.
Paul
On Aug 25, 2004, at 9:33 PM, Herb Chong wrote:

i've pretty much made up my mind that i'm about to spend more than JCO's
$10K on a Canon system to overcome the limitations of *istD. i don't see
Pentax making a DSLR body that will suit the my needs for high
responsiveness with acceptable image resolution within the next 4 or 5
years. i would prefer to go Nikon for a variety of reasons, but they are, if
anything, more uncertain about their future than Pentax despite having a
relatively safe and significant portion of the DSLR market. however, 8
megapixels speaks loudly too. a 1D Mk 2 with a set of fast long lenses will
easily cost more than the digital 4x5 system that JCO talks about, but like
you, i am not in the slightest bit interested in the larger format.

Herb....
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Studdert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 8:56 PM
Subject: RE: It's over (was Re: Ilford in trouble? and digi snappers)

On 25 Aug 2004 at 20:44, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

No,

Cant Take away the cost issue, because it is possible to match
4x5 film quality with special digital backs that cost $10,000 and
up. Can you afford that? I doubt.

Herein lies your problem.

So IN THE AFFORDABLE domain,
4x5 film blows away digital.....

Maybe for yourself and you still don't seem to be taking into account the
relatively limited scope of 4x5 equipment. Sharpness and absolute print
size
isn't all that makes a photograph.