I just posted the following to dpreview. Though I'd share it with PDMLers. Two outlets
for venting are better than one.

Hope this makes it to the list.

Joe

--------------------

I am only guessing that Pentax suspended producing the DA 14. I have been trying to
get one for nearly 3 months. It has been available in Europe since June, so we
expected North American availability soon after that. Since that has not happened, I
suspect that production was stopped, at least temporarily. It is also possible that it
is being produced very slowly. On PDML we joke that there is one Vietnamese lens
assembler named Nguyen. But that is just partly a joke, partly serious.

In North America, the DA 16-45 has been in short supply all along. It still is. None
of us can figure out why Pentax won't produce these lenses in sufficient quantity to
meet demand. It is quite frustrating. It also curbs my enthusiasm when Pentax
announces new lenses, like the D-FA macros.

Pentax are reputed to have some financial problems. But I cannot see how they can work
their way out if they don't manufacture products to sell. I would be happy to do my
part to help them with their financial problem in exchange for a DA 14. So far they
are uninterested.

What does seem clear is that Pentax have cut way back on their lens manufacturing
capacity. Many of the higher-quality lenses are suddenly hard or impossible to get.
Pentax's behavior never seems to make sense.

When the *ist D junior comes out, Pentax really needs to have a consumer level zoom to
go with it, perhaps a DAJ 18-55. Maybe this lens does exist, and manufacturing
capacity is directed toward it rather than the DA lenses. This would point to
diminished manufacturing capacity at the plant in Vietnam. We can only guess.

Joe