As well as I can recall, a slide originally referred to a 3-1/4" x 4" glass plate (like a microscope slide only bigger) positive for projection. By extension any positive transparency mounted for projection.

Technically I guess a negative is actually a negative transparency, but common usage in the US is to call a positive transparency a transparency, and a negative transparency a negative. Strictly speaking a slide is still only a transparency that is mounted for projection, but the terms slide and transparency are often used interchangeably.

And since no one seems to have looked it up and commented upon it, reversal film is short for direct-reversal film, e.g. a film that where the image is reversed by exposing it to a light (solarization), or by chemical means, thus differentiated from a positive copy made from a negative image.

--

Jostein wrote:

From a scanning POV, I guess anything that requires the light to be shone through to scan it is a transparency, whether it's a photographic film or not. I think it's just in a scanning context it makes sense to talk about a negative transparency. Mounted or not. And I can't really imagine why anyone would want to project a negative...?

Paul, I don't really have a clue about the general state of the phrase "slide film", but I have often heard both American and European business people refer to their powerpoint presentations as "slide shows"...:-)

Jostein

Keith Whaley wrote:

Paul Stenquist wrote:

"Slide film" is somewhat of an archaic term even in the US. Today, it's most often called transparency film. Epson's scanner terminology refers to it as "positive transparency" film, while what we commonly call negative film is designated "negative transparency" film.
Paul

Isn't "negative transparency" only used if it's mounted for projection?
If it's just slid into a plastic sleeve for giving it back to the customer, it's just a "negative." No?

keith whaley

On Aug 27, 2004, at 6:28 AM, Frantisek wrote:

GI> The same here in Italy: "dia", short for "diapositiva". The word
GI> "invertibile" (reversible) too was common, at least in a recent
GI> past.

Dia seems universal in Europe, from diapositive. Only the strange US
must use the term "slides"... It doesn't make sense, what is slid where ;-) ?

What about "chromes"?

Good light!
          fra