A step-up ring from a 58 to a 77 looks more than a little odd.

I haven't yet tried a polarizer in my big lenses, but they both have
drop-in filter holders (which makes using step-up rings impossible).
Unfortunately they can't even agree on filter size; the A* 300/2.8
uses 49mm filters, while the FA* 250-600 wants 42mm.

At least the old Vivitar 21-35mm uses 77mm filters, so it can share
anything I get for the 80-200 (although I should probably make sure
I buy the thin variants, just in case I use them with a film body).
And the 49mm filter size of the A* 300 lets me use some of the old
filters that lived in my bag of M lenses.