From: John Francis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2004 8:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Huge price differences for photo equipment (Was" polarizer"
before)

> I paid ca. $30 for my new 58mm Hoya circular polarizer at MediaMarkt.

Uncoated?  HMC?  S-HMC?  That makes a big difference to the price.

I'm happy with the performance of my SMC lenses.  I don't see the point
of wasting most of that benefit by putting uncoated glass
at the first interface to the outside world.   It's the old, old
argument - why bother to buy an expensive lens if you're only going to
stick a cheap filter on the front of it?  I probably wouldn't pay $100
for a filter if it were only going on a $100 lens, but my FA 28-105 also
takes the standard 58mm filter size.

And, unfortunately, it's mostly the cheap uncoated filters that show up
at the second-hand sales.