In NYC, Chock Full O' Nuts was what we used to call "a coffee shop," which was a NY synonym for inexpensive restaurant with a counter and booths. There was one on the corner of 57th and 7th. I used to eat breakfast or lunch there from time to time.
On Aug 28, 2004, at 1:43 AM, graywolf wrote:

If you realized that "Chock Full of Nuts" used to be a doughnut shop chain here in the US that had a particularly good coffee (prior to Starbucks, et al) the name is not so strange at all. Come to think of it Starbucks is kind of a strange name for coffee.

--

Tanya Mayer Photography wrote:

Maybe, it was meant to be enjoyed with this extremely amusing beverage that
I discovered whilst I was at tv's house...
http://www.tanyamayer.com/gfm2004blog/065_std.jpg
Care for some "Chock full of nuts" with your "Spotted Dick"?
eeeeeeewwww...
<vbg>
tan.
-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel J. Matyola [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, 27 August 2004 8:09 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PESO: What is this stuff?
On my recent trip to Maui, I spotted a can of this stuff:
I understand this is a Brit "delicacy" of sorts, which was sent to an
English expat in Hawaii. Can one of the British members of the list
explain what (and perhaps why) this stuff is?
The Hawaiians thought it was quite strange, and they regularly enjoy
Spam (the Armour kind, not the email kind.)
TIA,
Dan M