On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Daniel J. Matyola wrote:

On my recent trip to Maui, I spotted a can of this stuff:

I understand this is a Brit "delicacy" of sorts, which was sent to an English expat in Hawaii. Can one of the British members of the list explain what (and perhaps why) this stuff is?

It is a painful and disfiguring disease that causes much pain to thousands of young english men every year...

or it is a tasty sponge pudding with raisins (or currants or something) in, often served with custard. My step-gran proudly claimed that while her son (my stepdad) was still living at home she provided a steamed pudding for dessert every day of the week. This scares me.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mspotteddick.html

billy

--
If you have set yourself on fire, do not run
 Billy Abbott                     billy at cowfish dot org dot uk