Hi,

> On my recent trip to Maui, I spotted a can of this stuff:

> I understand this is a Brit "delicacy" of sorts, which was sent to an
> English expat in Hawaii.  Can one of the British members of the list
> explain what (and perhaps why) this stuff is?

> The Hawaiians thought it was quite strange, and they regularly enjoy
> Spam (the Armour kind, not the email kind.)

Looks like microwaveable spotted dick to me.

Microwaveable means it can be cooked in a type of oven which heats
things using microwave energy.

Spotted dick is a type of suet pudding containing raisins. It is a
typical old-fashioned school dinner, and is very popular with custard
(a sauce made from eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla). Comfort food.

A proper spotted dick is made by sprinkling raisins on a sheet of pudding
mix, rolling it up and baking it. It's spotted because the raisins look like
spots. It's dick because (I assume) when rolled up it has a cylindrical shape
whose form appeals to the schoolboy sense of humour.

Suet is some sort of animal fat.

The tinned version is not really spotted dick.

--
Cheers,
 Bob