On 1 Sep 2004 at 23:37, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> I work on a Mac. I'm not sure what  you're working on. But I use a
> generic RGB color profile and the ColrSynch workflow. I convert RAW in
> PhotoShop CS, sharpening and adjusting other parameters as my eye sees
> it. Then I convert to a 144 megabyte 48 bit file. I make additional
> tweaks as needed before printing, then convert to 24 bit and save as a
> 72 meg file. For internet use, I increase brightness by about 12 units
> and contrast by about 5. Then I do a "save for internet." I can't be
> bothered with expending more effort than this for internet pics. I
> suppose I  oould go back and save the RAW conversion in an sRGB
> colorspace, but it's just not worth the extra effort to me. My hammered
> out internet files appear to be at least okay to my eye.

Thanks Paul, it's good to hear what other people have found works for them. I'm
not too sure what the Generic RGB profile is based upon, is it a Mac specific
colour space?

Just to clarify I'm running a Windows based system. Since W98 the Windows
environment has been colour aware, ie the system can has provisions to
accommodate an ICC monitor profile that is available to all applications which
are colour management savvy.

So on my system I currently run an sRGB monitor profile (monitor has pre-set
colour temp, contrast and brightness and is pre-set to G2.2) so any
applications without colour management will render as sRBG. My image management
software is set for an sRGB working space which assumes that all images without
an embedded profile are rendered as sRGB (which most are). In PS I've been
running an AdobeRGB working space which means that I need to use the "Mode >
Convert to Profile" function prior to saving for web of saving for print (as my
printer has supplied a profile for their equipment).

I haven't yet made macros but once I've made some tests and decided exactly
what profiles I'm going to settle on and the most appropriate method of
conversion for each process (Perceptual, Saturation, Relative Colorimetric,
Absolute Colorimetric) I'll make actions to streamline the procedure. It's a
lot more complicated than any other aspects of image management if you need
best consistency between mediums and on top of that I'm just coming to terms
with the CS RAW convertor, it seems to render the fixed colour temps
differently to the Pentax software. :-(

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998