On 2 Sep 2004 at 21:04, David Mann wrote:

> Since you're shooting RAW with Adobe RGB I would suggest setting that
> as your working space, and using that colour space to archive your
> images.

I suspect in reality the gamut of the cameras RAW output is undefined before the
demosaic transform is implemented. I the cameras set-up it is possible to select
AdobeRGB of sRGB colour spaces which obviously effects the cameras processing of JPG
and TIF files however it is only a marker in the RAW file along with all the other
settings. Using the PS CS import utility the option exist to select one of four CS
profiles in my system. The available profiles are Adobe RGB (1998), ColorMatch RGB,
ProPhoto RGB and
sRGB IEC61966-1, in this line up I assume ProPhoto has the widest Gamut.

> If you were to convert your files to a wider-gamut space (such as
> EktaSpace or Pro Photo RGB), you wouldn't be gaining anything as your
> source colours are limited to fit within the gamut of Adobe RGB.  In
> fact you'd be irreversibly losing fidelity as the transition from one
> colour value to the next will represent a larger change in colour as
> the 8-bit (or 16-bit) data is mapped to a larger gamut in each channel.

Looking at the histogram in the PS CS import utility there is information lost
when switching between Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB profiles. Assuming files are
to be archived in a 16bit per colour format I assume that losses when
converting to lower gamut profiles would not be so destructive? I would expect
this to be a better archive solution than Adobe RGB?

> Definitely convert to sRGB for web use.  It's up to you whether you
> embed profiles or not.  I always do, for the benefit of users of the
> only two browsers I know of that support them - Safari and Mac IE (with
> ColorSync enabled in the preferences).

Thanks for the great info. Have you still got that page up which contains the
test images rendered in various colour spaces?

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998