keller.schaefer wrote:

M lenses will work just fine on the MZ-5 (in M or aperture priority mode) -
because the MZ-5 has the aperture coupler that tells the body how much the lens
has been stopped down. Even if you don't like doing that ;-) I recommend you
take the lenses off both cameras and compare the mount. The MZ-5 has a small
tab on the inside of the bajonet that is moved by a corresponding tab on the
lens. The ist does not have that tab.

I know, before the *ist was on the market, I contacted pentax benelux and asked the if the camera had a crippled lens interface. They told me that that wasn't the case. So, during a short holiday I ran into an *ist in Germany with a very nice price, and bought it. A vey weeks later I spotted a nice 'M' lens, and put it on the camera. You can imagine the disappointment. I contacted Pentax benelux to get some compensation for there incorrect information, but they would not take any responsibility because I bought the camera in Germany. So, I almost switched to Nikon :-)

Both lenses share the same optical formula. A-lenses are said to have an
improved coating although both are designated "SMC". I have both lenses and
have not been able to actually see any difference.

Sven

Thanx for the information. Now they only reason not to get an 'M' lens is the 'Pentax *ist D junior'. Are there any wizards who can tell me if that one will have a crippled lens interface :-)

Bye.

Johan.