----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Stenquist"
Subject: Re: Pentax *ist D and a Studio Flash

> You probably don't have to. But I was never sure that the camera
would
> know to stop down to a manually set aperture if you had not first
> pressed the green button. My ambient light is usually too dim to
worry
> about, so I rarely check it. I sometimes use a flash meter to
compare
> the light from the various strobes, but I rely more on the lcd and
> histogram for exposure info.

You don't have to. My method in the studio with non A lenses is to
set the aperture to a middle f/stop. set the shutter to 1/60 and take
a picture.
After the camera has processed the image, check the histogram and
adjust either the flash output or the aperture, then take another
picture.
Repeat as needed until you get a nice histogram.
My method with A lenses is the same, except I am using the control
wheel instead of the aperture ring.

William Robb