Hi,

>> I don't think there *is* a technical advantage any more. You have to
>> come to GFM next year and see some of Tom VanVeen's black & white
>> prints from digital. They convinced me.

> I don't doubt they are great looking prints (and I'd love to see then in
> person) but I think it really does depend a lot on the subject matter. I still
> believe that B&W film has the advantage in capture latitude (for a single shot)
> and that certain desirable film characteristics are difficult to emulate
> digitally.

I agree with you here, and I think we have to learn to treat them as
different media. I have been to some wonderful exhibitions of
digitally-printed black and white, but there are differences between
them and 'real' black & white, just as there are between different
types of black & white print, and different types of colour print.

I think the quality of digital printing now is so good that it is a
mistake to talk of better and worse in comparison to traditional
prints, they are just different.

A couple of years ago I had a chance to see a digital and a traditional
print of a Salgado picture side-by-side. Although there was clearly a
difference, I could not have said that one was better than the other.

At about the same time, I took part in a small exhibition and showed
some digital prints from Scala originals. While we were hanging the
exhibition one of the other photographers - a real old-fashioned
traditionalist - took a long look at one of my prints and said "Look
at that quality. They'll never be able to get that in digital". He
looked distinctly crestfallen when I broke the bad news <g>.

--
Cheers,
 Bob