You are right ... but it SOUNDS the same ;-)

Sven

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: John Francis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 16. September 2004 20:27
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: Re: Use of Green Button (was Re: istDs - what a great camera!)

keller.schaefer mused:

> If I remember correctly, operating the DOF preview lever around the
shutter
> release does the same than the green button in manual on the *ist D.

No - the DOF preview lever also activates the metering circuitry (so you can
check to see what the camera thinks the exposure would be), but it doesn't
change the selected shutter speed.

I think that's a good thing - there has to be a way to check the effect of
the current settings without altering any of them.  I'd hate it if the DOF
preview changed my carefully-selected shutter speed, just as I'd hate it
if it activated the AF circuitry and changed my carefully-selected focus.