You can still check the DOF by stopping down, which to me, is better than looking at the ap ring. But that's just me. If you use an A lens on the *istD, you still get your DOF scale. Nothing different there than you would get if you used it on an LX.

Don't get me wrong. I'm basically a traditionalist. I like to shoot with a fifty year old Leica and a hand held meter -- or no meter at all. I will never sell my Barnack Leica, my LX, my last Spotmatic, my H3v or my Spotmatic F. And I love the smell of hypo and stop bath. But I also know a good thing when I see it, and the Pentax *istD is a good thing. I assume the *istDs is as well.

Paul