I read in the specs that it will allow selection of the autofocus point. But the D's switch to select focus point is gone. I'll bet this means that you cannot set central sensor only and just leave it at that. You have to select the sensor with each photo (or each time you turn the camera on), or just accept which sensor the camera thinks you should be using. I think that this is a major area where the clutch mechanism of the new lenses comes in. But of course, many users who would be willing to accept the default sensor probably won't use the lens clutch mechanism anyway.

I am trying to figure out why users of this camera would be sophisticated enough to require program, center-weighted, and spot metering, but not need to be able to select the central autofocus sensor.

Incidentally, Dpreview's statement that it lacks mirror lock-up, while the *ist D has it, is wrong. Both have the 2-second delay option, functioning as a mirror lock up.

I hope that Pentax does well with the DS. Based on what I am reading, though, I regret not a cent of what I spent on my D. Granted, they had to leave things out, but I am not discerning a logical pattern to what they left out. But I shouldn't expect that. It's Pentax, after all.

Joe