For what it may be worth, I thought I would add some comments on my personal
favorites from the May PUG.

My clear favorite is Gianfranco Irlanda's "The Jewel."  It has an abstract beauty
about it, even before I realized what it was.  Then, I was awed by the creativity of
even conceiving of a photo of bubbles in a cup of coffee.  Add to the the technical
finesse of the shot, and it is a real wonder!

Other entries that I especially enjoyed:

Herbert Brasileiro' "Breathless Cathedral."  I've taken a lot of shots in a lot of
cathedrals over the years, and it is always difficult.  This is one of the best
executions of that problem that I have seen in quite a while.

Fairy's "Eye Spy."  The vivid details make this shot in my view, especially what I
believe is the reflection of the photographer in the dog's eye.

Alexey Tikhanov's "Daniil."  A stunning portrait in the style of the Dutch masters.

Carlos Royo's "Saddhu." A great study of character, with a feeling of human feeling
and a sense of timelessness and texture.

David Dixon's "Frog."  Great composition and detail.  I especially love the little
piece of pond weed on the frog's nose.

Patrick Hunt's "Seaoat."  I love the warm colors, the detail in the foreground
silhouette, and the arc of the plant across the frame.

Norman Baugher's "Serenity."  A good portrayal of the title theme.  I really like
the interesting shape of the tree in the upper right.

Ken Waller's "North Face of Denali."  Mountains are always difficult subject,
especially from a distance, and especially Denali.  One of my own favorite shots is
of Denali from a moving train, but this photo really captures the power and mystery
of that mountain for me.

R. K.'s "Cycas."  I love the color, the patterns, and the interesting details that
are all well captured in this shot.

Bill Casselberry's "Hummer."  A very artful rendition of a very tough subject.

I'm not sure my unlearned opinions add anything the the discussion, but I enjoyed
this month's gallery so much I thought I should toss in my two cents.

Dan

--
Daniel J. Matyola                 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stanley, Powers & Matyola         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]