I think you'll see a new TOL Pentax SLR digital within a year. Once you dip your toe in the water, you might as well go in all the way. And let's not forget that the *ist-D is quite adequate for almost all applications right now. Better will be great, but Pentax has already produced a digital SLR that is decisively topped only by very expensive pro cameras. I think the next Pentax DSLR will be a relatively affordable 8 or 10 megapixel unit. That would be in keeping with how they position the brand against the market leaders.
Paul