Hi Ryan,

I'd like to think I'm reasonably urbanised, but the thing is I'm afraid of
coming across as a lost 17 year old (which I could pass off for I've been
told) with a big fat DSLR round my neck- hence my safety paranoia..

It's everywhere the same, if you look too insecure and gullible you might get trouble.
If you look to rich you might get trouble.
And if you step down the wrong alleyways you might walk into trouble. (the dark and looming ones, you recognise them due to dramatic music cueing in when you look into them)

It's always the same in traveling: be careful, make friends so you are not alone, listen to your feelings about where to go and where not.

have fun traveling!
Sam