This isnt that complicated. Digital sensors
have dynamic range just like film does. At some point
they clip at higher light levels and at some point they just produce
noise at
lower light levels. THAT is the dynamic range of the sensor
itself and it doesn't matter what the bit depth of the A/D
is after the sensor, you cannot get more Dynamic Range in the output
than the sensor itself has by increasing the bit depth.

That said, if the bit depth is too little compared to
the dynamic range of the sensor there will be problems
because without enough output shades of gray (bit depth) there
would be obvious visable banding as the sensor's dynamic
range increases due to technical improvements. But you have to remember
that increasing the bit depth of the output isnt
increasing the dynamic range of the sensor, it is only
making whatever dynamic range the sensor has fully usable.

I do not claim to be an expert on this but my understanding
on this is that the sensors are limiting dynamic range at
this point, not the bit depth of the a/d conversions so just
increasing bit depths of todays sensors will not increase
the recorded dynamic range, just more more invisibly finer shades of
gray possible out of the same limited recorded dynamic
range.

JCO