Mark,

Try the vistas from the museum campus, about 1200 south on the lake shore.
Depending on where you are staying, you can run the lake shore from
Navy Pier, about 800 north all the way down to the football stadium.
I've taken pictures on the peninsula out to Adler Planetarium that
Paul talked about.  There are plenty of folks running this route
before dawn and it might give you a good look around.

In addition, I wouldn't miss the new Millennium Park at the north end
of Grant Park.  There are some new, and very unusual public spaces
there.  The whole park is a big open space between downtown Chicago
and the lake.

Don't miss the Art Institute with the famous Lions out front or
Pizzaria Uno or Due.

Regards,  Bob S.