> While preparing to do a close-up of a three dimensional object the
> thought crossed my mind that a macro lens is best suited for flat
> objects, like stamps and documents, rather than something with
> greater depth like the small toy car I was photographing.

Well, my take on this would be that a macro lens is designed to
render flat objects well, because it is designed to have a "flat"
field of focus, but this is not to say that it can't render
"3-dimensional" objects just fine.

> Using the A100/2.8 macro and the K105/2.8 on the same subject,
> there didn't seem to be any observable difference between the two
> photos.

Well, the depth of field of the two lenses, at matching apertures,
would have to be very, very much the same.

Fred