From: Fred [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 9:20 AM
To: Tom Reese
Subject: Re: A Question About Macro Lenses

> The major difference between the macro lenses and the non-macro lenses

> is that the macro lenses allow you to focus a lot closer.

Agreed.  For most of us (who usually would be shooting small and/or
close-up 3-dimensional objects, and not just pieces of paper, for
example), I suspect that the flat-field characteristic of a macro lens
would be less important than the close-focusing ability.

> If you're far enough away from your subject that both lenses can focus

> then I wouldn't expect to see an appreciable difference in the images
> at f/8 or f/11.

I would agree.  The K 105/2.8 is a pretty sharp lens and the A 100/2.8
Macro certainly is, and their focal lengths are almost the same (so that
their depths of field should be very close).  Even at f/2.8 or f/4, I
would think that the differences would not be large.

Fred