If thats really so, I'd think the resize algorythms of modern software would do this to achieve good quality without me even knowing it.

I read somewhere one should sharpen the image before resizing 'cause some information gets lost. Maybe it was in http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/pk-sharpener.shtml but I am not sure.

Sam

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 7:58 AM
Subject: OT: Reducing File Size with Photoshop

I recently heard that the best way to reduce a large file to one that's
substantially smaller is by using a step-by-step process rather than just
making the reduction in one step. I've numerous 4000ppi scanned B&W film
images of about 40mb and I want to reduce it to 100ppi with a wide
dimension of 800-900 pixels. Does anyone know what the procedure is for
doing a step-by-step reduction?  I tried it by going from 4000ppi to
2000ppi to 1000ppi, etc., but the results were soft and mushy.  Is there a
better way to reduce the size and rez of such files?

Shel