Really? The Mac jockeys you know must be very deluded. I can't imagine not selecting one's color space or scratch disk. For example, if you don't choose your preferences, the startup disk will be the scratch disk. To get good performance from PS on a Mac you need a firewire hard drive with a lot of empty space as your scratch disk. If you print PS documents from a Mac, you want to set up PhotoShop for ColorSynch. And as noted before, the bicubic interpolation is not always the best. I can't believe that anyone who uses a Mac for photography and has any notion of what they're doing would use all of the default preferences.

On Nov 13, 2004, at 1:29 PM, Herb Chong wrote:

the Mac jockeys i know tend not to look for preferences and always leave
everything just the way it came. Bicubic is the default out of the box and i
wonder why anyone would ever change it.

Herb...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Stenquist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: OT: Reducing File Size with Photoshop

The file size change preference in General Preferences. I think
everyone knows how to set those. The default is "Bicubic Better."
"Bicubic Smoother" seems to give better interpolation when upsizing.
I'm not certain, but I think it's irrelevant when downsizing. However,
getting back to Shel's question, one step downsizing is better than a
mutitude of steps. The same is reportedly true of upsizing
(interpolation).