The file size change preference in General Preferences. I think everyone knows how to set those. The default is "Bicubic Better." "Bicubic Smoother" seems to give better interpolation when upsizing. I'm not certain, but I think it's irrelevant when downsizing. However, getting back to Shel's question, one step downsizing is better than a mutitude of steps. The same is reportedly true of upsizing (interpolation).
On Nov 13, 2004, at 8:45 AM, Herb Chong wrote:

how does it not being Bicubic since that is the default and newbies don't
even know where to go to change it?

Herb...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Stenquist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 7:44 AM
Subject: Re: OT: Reducing File Size with Photoshop

Some people on the digital darkroom forum have experimented with this
and found that doing it in one step is superior to a lot of small
steps. Make sure your PS preference for file size changes is set to
"Bicubic Smoother." That appears to be the best choice in most cases.
(That's probably more important for increasing file size.)