It seems you missed or misread my original post.  I did try it, saw very
different results between several methods of reducing file size, and was
trying to ascertain if there is some technique other than the one I used
which will give better results.  I brought up the subject because a friend
of mine took a Photoshop class and her instructor recommended the step
technique for reducing the file size.

Shel