Jens Bladt escribió:

I did some quick tests - and now it seems to have improved to the same
performance as the Tokina 2.8-4.3 28-70mm at 28mm and still much better at
70mm. It's still not as impressive as it used to be. Not as sharp as the
(very expensive) SMC FA 2.8/28-70mm.

Yes, I agree. If I could afford the FA 28-70 mm 2.8, no doubt I would have bought it. But it is a question of getting what you pay for. Anyway, my Tokina is an excellent lens for the price.

As for flare: I don't have the original tulip shaped lens hood anymore. I
droped it in the sea from a chopper sometime ago. I use a metal hood, I got
from a water damaged, later version. I think it's not quite as effective as
the original hood. At 28mm the front element is almost at the front of the
lens barrel. I guess there's not much flare protection at 28mm.

You are right. The original hood is to shallow to provide adequate masking at 28 mm.