Fra: John Francis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 16. november 2004 07:12
Til: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Emne: Re: Using pre-A lenses on *istDS (was:*ist-DS english manual)

Andy Chang mused:

> Thank you James for the info.
> I had a quick look and read the part most important to me several times
> (Page 179 of the manual, Page 181 on the PDF doc).
> Correct me if I'm wrong...
> 1. Does it mean that the DS will only meter at wide open with the old
> lens?

Yes - just like the *ist-D

> 2. If I want to get metering at different aperture, I need to connect
> the lens to an Extension Tube K?

Yes - just like the *ist-D

> 3. Or if I want, I have to go full manual, then use DOF to get the right
> exposure...

Yes - just like the *ist-D

On the *ist-D, in manual exposure mode, pushing "the green button" makes a
one-time setting of shutter speed, performing a stopped-down metering step.
There is supposedly a similar capability in the *ist-Ds (although as there
is no "green button", it's done by something else - the AE-L button, IIRC).
I'm not surprised to find no mention of this capability in the manual; it
was almost certainly added as an afterthought (just like the *ist-D :-)
after the manual was written.

> If all of the above are true, I'm going to buy istD.... not DS....

That won't help you :-)

> Or I have to buy more AF lenses....
> Argggggggggggggggghhhh
>
> Andy

Welcome to the wonderful world of enablement!

You don't need AF lenses, though - just lenses with an "A" setting.
That's basically every lens Pentax has made in more than twenty years.