<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am interested in comparison of the following manual focus zoom lenses.
>I am considering purchasing a zoom in the range 70-200mm, around f/4
>is okay.  How do you rate the following lenses with respect to distortion,
>flare, sharpness, luggability (is just too heavy to lug around), any
>other measure you think appropriate?  Main use would be landscape, and
>lawn bowls. Would you recommend any other similar type of lens over these ones.
>
>70-210 F/4 Pentax SMC A MACRO (58)
>vs
>70-210 F/3.5 VIVITAR SER 1 MACRO (62)
>or
>70-210 F/2.8-4 VIVITAR SER 1 MACRO (62)

Well, I've owned the first one and the third one, but not at the same
time so I can't even compare between those two, really. I think the
Vivitar is better than the Pentax in terms of resolution, but the Pentax
is better in terms of overall image quality (I'm not one of those who
considers sharpness to be the be-all-and-end-all of image quality). But
the Pentax is much larger and heavier and doesn't focus as close.

My preference is for the third one, the Vivitar 70-210/2.8-4.0: I bought
one with a stuck diaphragm and fixed it with the intention of reselling
it at a handsome profit margin, but it proved to be so good I couldn't
let it go. It's sharp as hell. Really amazing resolution, really. I've
been stunned by the detail I can pick out in high-res scans. (Resolution
may not be the only thing I consider when judging lenses, but it's nice
to have!) The 1:2.5 macro capability is very useful for an all-round
traveling lens. I generally prefer constant-aperture lenses, but being
able to shoot at f/2.8 at 70mm makes it a decent portrait lens.

My film-based travel kit consists of an MX, an M-28/3.5, 43mm Limited
and Vivitar 70-210.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing