No - you've *still* got it wrong.

On the DS, you need to push the AE-L button to get the effect of the green
button (actually setting the shutter speed based on the exposure metering).

On both cameras (the *ist-D & the *ist-Ds) activating DOF preview will also
activate the metering circuitry, and indicate what the camera considers to
be the correct exposure.  So the camera will tell you whether it thinks you
are going to over-expose or under-expose, but it won't change the selected
shutter speed to "correct" the exposure.  To actually change the shutter
speed to the one the camera thinks is right you have to push the button
(green button on the *ist-D, AE-L button on the *ist-Ds).

Jens Bladt mused: