G> There is! LCD Panel on top shows the metering mode (page 22 in
G> manual).

  Thanks, I'm glad I skipped this one.
  Still, I find the metering mode buried too deep in the menus to be
  really useable. The same goes with flash compensation: commonly used
  functions that should be readily accessible, if not on a dedicated
  switch at least programmable on some universal button (4 way
  controller for instance).

G> Then, page 139: "The aperture and shutter speed are automatically
G> adjusted to the appropriate exposure at that moment if the [AE-L]
G> button is pressed in a M (Manual) mode. Shutter speed is adjusted to
G> appropriate exposure according to lens aperture when lens aperture is
G> not set to s position.

  Though they don't mention the stop down phase that's required for
  proper metering, this seems like a positive confirmation.

  Servus,  Alin