Speaking of the Mac, no one has mentioned iPhoto. Although it's probably not
robust enough for professional use (what does that mean, anyway?), it seems
to be a good value for the price: free for the 2.0 version, or $50 for the
4.0 version if you purchase the iLife suite. Come to think of it, isn't
iPhoto 4 included for free on newer purchases?

I don't care much for the tools, but it meets my needs for organizing
images.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone really pushed it to its limits? My library
currently has 1,849 photos in 3.6GB and works just fine on a PowerBook G4.
Peanuts compared to Larry, I know.