On Dec 1, 2004, at 9:17 PM, Paul Sorenson wrote:

No - there are three buttons on the printer, one for power, one to manually load or eject paper and one that you use to replace an empty ink cartridge when one of the low ink lights above it is flashing (Epson calls it the "cleaning button". To replace a cartridge when you do not have a low ink light flashing, you move the print head to the cartridge replacement position by pressing and holding the load/eject button for about 3 seconds.

Yeah, that's how my Stylus Color works. I wonder if what he's talking about is the fact that the printer uses the reload to reset the page counter. Before Epson put chips into their printers, this was how it worked. Basically, what will happen is that when you put your black cartridge back in, the counter will be reset the counter back to 0, and will start counting from there. When it thinks the cartridge is empty, based on your use, it will tell you via the flashing light. However, because you are refilling with a partially empty cartridge, you will run out first. This may cause problems with the print head, thus clogging it and destroying the printer...

If this is how it works, then it would be ok, I guess, to put the old cart back in, only be very careful, and watch for the cart to empty, and swap it out before you stand a chance of ruining your print heads.
--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland