"Collin Brendemuehl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In B&W we can affect contrast and gray-level representation of color with the
>use of filters.  Some on the camera, some on the enlarger.
>
>What I'm thinking of is really a question about the "raw" format.  Is it
>truely "raw", the simple captured sensor data.
>If it is, are there techniques in place to allow later treatment of the data
>as though it were the original light,
>making it monochrome, filtering the colors, and anything else
>that I'd like to do on the front end.
>
>After it's converted it's not as difficult.
>
>Is this even on the right track?
>
>What I'm looking for is the ability to treat digital like film.
>At least in terms of the sequence in handling the data.

Yes, you can treat digital exactly like film: Use red, orange or
whatever filters at the time of shooting and manipulate contrast at the
time of printing.

If you want to treat digital like film but *not* use the same sequence
in handling data, like applying the filters digitally, after image
capture but before converting to monochrome you can't get exactly the
effect you could achieve with B&W film, but with enough skill and
practice you can come very close.

>And promise to never pour fixer onto a lens.

Imagine my relief! :)

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing